OVERALL JOB PURPOSE: Assists in the extraction of coal from below the earth’s surface by fulfilling one of the various underground coal mining roles (e.g., bolter, booster, belt move, belt shoveler, dewatering, overcast, spray, steel sets, track, etc.).
- Shovel shattered materials into mine cars or onto conveyor.
- Install timber, roof bolts, steel sets, or cribs, to support walls and roof.
- Lay track to accommodate mine cars or track-mounted equipment.
- Build and repair ventilation controls.
- Operate heavy machinery.
- Other duties assigned as needed.
OTHER SKILLS AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Display dependability (promptly meet shift assignments and communicate any work absences to supervisors).
- Productively fulfill 8-12 hour daily shifts and six or seven day overtime workweeks if required.
- Respect the safety-sensitive nature of the underground coal mining industry by maintaining alertness and focus; exhibiting precision and steadiness; executing problem-solving and quick reaction abilities; and abiding to Vesta’s drug and alcohol policies.
- Adjust to various weekday and weekend shifts, job duties, and mine site locations.
- Respect and tolerate various opinions and personalities and work well in groups.
- Accept constructive criticism from supervisors and respond accordingly.
CREDENTIALS AND EXPERIENCE: Pennsylvania and/or West Virginia Black Hat cards preferred but Red Hat status is accepted.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Working conditions are characteristic of an underground coal mine – exposure to cold, dark, damp, humid, and close confinement environments beneath the earth’s surface. Due to the labor-intensive makeup of the underground coal mining industry, employees must be able to maneuver in tight spaces and uncomfortable positions, carry a minimum of 80 pounds of weight, and endure strain on the body.
REPORTS TO: Vesta operational coordinator and company mine site supervisor.
FLSA Status: This role is non-exempt and is eligible for overtime compensation.